With Chinese cave paintings that depict common massage therapy techniques dating back to about 15,000 BC, its safe to say that massage and it’s benefits have been able to stand the test of time. Helping to relieve the common aches, pains and stresses that usually come from our day to day lives is only the beginning. Regular massage therapy sessions have repeatedly been shown to:
- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.
- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body’s natural defense system, against toxins and pathogens.
- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body’s largest organ – the skin.
- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
- Reduces spasms and cramping
- Increases joint flexibility.
- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts and eliminates subsequent pains of the athlete at every level of fitness.
- Releases endorphins – the body’s natural painkiller
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.
- Has been clinically proven to reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches and migraines and often decreases the need for medication.
- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.
- Assists with shorter labor for expectant mothers, as well as less need for medication, less depression and anxiety, and shorter hospital stays.*
*Please note that KJ Massage does not perform Prenatal Massage but we will be happy to refer you a therapist who is specifically trained in this modality.